SEO is one of the most important strategies in online marketing. For this reason, we’ve compiled 8 SEO strategies that have proven to be effective over time. The right SEO approach can effectively lower your user audience cost and lead you to success.
- Find the right keyword phrase: These words and phrases act as magnets that catch the attention of search engines. If you have the right keywords, you will receive healthy and converting traffic to your website.
- Backlinks from high authority websites: Good quality backlinks are an important ranking factor. They indicate that your content is informative and compelling enough for high-authority websites to include within their online property.
- Get ready for mobile: You need to optimize your website for mobile viewing because mobile search has already surpassed desktop search.
- Use Schema.org markup: You can make it easier for Google to identify the core aspects of your website and company with the help of Schema.org markup.
- Focus on end user value in content: Readers and search engine users will only visit your website if you offer content with end user value. You need to answer questions and fill a vacuum with your content.
- Use long-form content: Search engines like long-form content because they believe such content will provide the best and most comprehensive information to their users.
- Don’t forget internal linking: Users will have access to more information and articles related to the topic on your website and search engines will rank you higher for that.
- Use the right tool: It’s not easy to keep track of all aspects of SEO and ensure everything is on track. There are many platforms and software programs available in the market to help you manage your SEO campaign.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is one of the most important strategies in modern digital marketing. A successful SEO strategy will help your website find a place at the top of the search engines results pages (SERP). The right SEO approach can help you get an abundance of traffic and lower your Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC).
Unfortunately, it’s not easy to reach top page positioning because you have to deal with intense competition and changing search engine algorithms. Even some SEO professionals struggle to keep up with the regular upgrades. However, if you keep in mind that search engines want quality and good user experience, you can develop successful strategies that will help you climb the ranks. Here’s a list of eight SEO strategies that have proven their effectiveness over time.
1. Find the right keyword phrase
Keywords are the backbone of SEO and modern marketing strategies. These words and phrases act as magnets that catch the attention of search engines. If you have the right keywords, you will receive healthy and converting traffic to your website. It’s important to be creative with the keywords you choose and find phrases that bring in the best audiences. Here are some unique strategies you can use to find the most effective keywords:
- Look at paid ads – Paid ads use the best and most competitive keywords so you can search a keyword relevant to your industry and study the ad copies that appear at the top of the SERP. They will contain a number of keywords and phrases that you can use in your content and copy writing to improve visibility. You can also use Semrush’s Advertising/Organic Research Tool to find these keywords or Google’s Keyword Planner.
- Competitor websites – Most experienced marketers stalk competitor websites to study their marketing strategies, keywords and successful content pieces. AdWords will even let you search keywords on a competitor’s website. All you need to do is find a competitor who ranks high in the search engine results pages and take note of their keywords. You can also use Semrush and get a full report with their Domain Overview tool and get a feel for the competition.
2. Get backlinks from high authority websites
Good quality backlinks are an important ranking factor. They indicate that your content is informative and compelling enough for high-authority websites to include within their online property. This sends a clear message to search engines as they revise your rankings on the SERP. However, getting backlinks is easier said than done. Some businesses use what could be considered black hat techniques and purchase links. This can compromise your reputation and standing with search engines in the long run.
So the best route is to solicit links from high authority websites with the help of campaigning and PR. You can also use some easier and lesser known strategies as well. For example, you can replace dead links on Wikipedia pages with your own links and edit the content accordingly. Make sure the content on the Wikipedia page matches your content and industry when you do this.
3. Get ready for mobile
Mobile dominates search engine now, so you can’t afford to ignore it. You need to optimize your website for mobile viewing because mobile search has already surpassed desktop search. People consume content, shop and browse through the internet on mobile more often than they do on the desktop platform. Here’s what you need to do:
- Ensure your website is responsive and adjusts to different screen sizes.
- Restructure the website to ensure it’s easy to navigate.
- Make sure it is light enough to load quickly on all platforms.
- Pick the design carefully so it looks good on the smaller screen.
4. Use Schema.org markup
You can make it easier for Google to identify the core aspects of your website and company with the help of Schema.org markup. When you include this code into your website structure, you can tell Google where your website logo is, where your reviews are located, what kind of company you are, where your most relevant content is located, etc. This information gives Google a clear picture of your identity and reduces the time it takes to crawl, index and rank pages. Schema markup can create rich snippets like star ratings that can increase your Click Through Rate, an important factor towards positioning. Including Schema.org markup will increase your ranking by a considerable margin.
5. Focus on end user value in content
Readers and search engine users will only visit your website if you offer content with end user value. Many content creators make the mistake of focusing on topics and subjects they like and struggle to find an audience. You need to answer questions and fill a vacuum with your content. You need to study your target audience carefully and understand their interests before you create your content. You can browse through social media, comments on your previous blog posts and other such places to get a good idea of what kind of content you require. Semrush now has an SEO Content Template Tool that assists with Content Recommendations. While Ahrefs has a Content Explorer tool that helps you explore popular content. If you’re looking for a free solution just search the terms you want to be found for and then explore the content at the top of the Search Engine for those terms. Mimic and emulate the good parts of popular results.
6. Use long-form content
Search engines like long-form content because they believe such content will provide the best and most comprehensive information to their users. Experts recommend that you maintain a content length of over 1,200 words at the very least. Pieces with more than 2,000 words are very successful and draw interest from search engine users more often. You can also invest in different kinds of content like videos, infographics and other such forms.
7. Don’t forget internal linking
Internal linking is just as important as backlinking. These links connect different pieces of content together and distribute the traffic. They also show the search engines the depth of information available on your website. Users will have access to more information and articles related to the topic on your website and search engines will rank you higher for that.
8. Use the right tool
It’s not easy to keep track of all aspects of SEO and ensure everything is on track. Fortunately, there are many platforms and software programs available in the market to help you manage your SEO campaign. Bloggers and content creators use tools like SEMrush to research keywords, perform content audits, check backlinks, check rankings of the competitors, etc. These tools can be invaluable and help you save time on marketing.